One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of one's real feelings) be revealed inadvertently.
- ‘The determination of these people shows through despite the emotional turmoil to which the government is subjecting them.’
- ‘Alan, your bias and your prejudice show through, and you're letting them affect your professional opinion.’
- ‘Mr McDonald added: ‘The quality and commitment of our staff shows through.’’
- ‘Leftists everywhere always claim to be on the side of ‘the little guy’ but every so often their real contempt for the little guy shows through.’
- ‘She's been entertaining me all day, albeit with a streak of anger showing through here or there.’
- ‘His interest in history shows through in a lot of his writing.’
- ‘You have a deep, artistic, and creative side which shows through, a love for music and literature.’
- ‘Perhaps it's my depression showing through, thus reinforcing my depression in a vicious cycle.’
- ‘Tiga's innate passion for music shows through on this mix, which avoids obvious selections and instead concentrates on building atmosphere and energy over its 70 minutes.’
- ‘‘Brother Linus has a great feel for the parish and the people of the parish and that shows through in the book,’ the bishop added.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.