One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Indicate the direction to be followed to a particular place.
- ‘They are accompanied by a dumb person who carries their belongings and a guide who shows the way.’
- ‘‘It will have a map specific to that area, showing the way to the nearest public toilet,’ she says.’
- 1.1 Indicate what can or should be done by doing it first.‘Morgan showed the way by becoming Deputy Governor of Jamaica’
- ‘Waitakere City shows the way to a ‘greener life’ by introducing eco-friendly initiatives throughout the region.’
- ‘Social housing is showing the way, with projects exceeding current building regulations in terms of sustainability.’
- ‘He shows the way to healthier eating habits by a slight modification of the traditional Indian diet.’
- ‘They should be showing the way with a fortnight in Clacton-on-Sea instead of clocking up the air miles on the unforgivable, a twin-destination break in the Caribbean and Tuscany.’
- ‘By bringing together some of the most influential people in the sector to discuss these issues, Scotland is showing the way forward.’
- ‘The government of Uganda once again shows the way forward in the fight against AIDS.’
- ‘A captain who leads by example is showing the way by backing the right men.’
- ‘The work of pioneers like Dr Stephen Scott and Dr Carole Sutton shows the way ahead.’
- ‘China is showing the way by taking all the tough decisions that an overpopulated nation has to make when it has an underdeveloped economy.’
- ‘He showed the way out of our despair and gave us the emotional armour to get up every day and get on with our lives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.