Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A message of congratulation, support, or appreciation.‘a special shout-out to Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Gandolfini, and Robert DeNiro for being such kick-ass cinematic mobsters’
- ‘‘Out of State’ is sweet and driving, and ‘Modern Age’ is a close-to-complacent shout-out to surrealism and post-70s rock.’
- ‘Lead singer Beth starts out most shows with several shout-outs to ‘the fat ladies!’’
- ‘You listen to a tape, and Busta Rhymes may start to give shout-outs.’
- ‘I shall, in all fairness and tradition, now give a shout-out to all my fellow performers.’
- ‘The album's best song is the deliciously funky title track, a shout-out to soul legends like Earth, Wind & Fire and James Brown.’
- ‘Jarmusch also used his speech to give shout-outs to Hou (‘I am your student,’ he said) and our Torontonian also-rans.’
- ‘I love you all, as you know, and here are your shout-outs.’
- ‘Surely, she will get a shout-out from Flavor Flav somewhere in the album, or within its cover.’
- ‘‘The Intro’ is a deft move on its own; instead of sputtering out some pointless shout-outs and promises as other album intros do, Slim Thug kicks a maximalist dramatic monologue and knows exactly when to rap and when to just speak.’
- ‘The aforementioned ‘An Open Letter to NYC’ is the one track that truly lives up to the album's title with affectionate shout-outs to Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island.’
- ‘There's just time for a shout-out to his granny, who has a cold and couldn't make it tonight.’
- ‘Besides the odd shout-out or movie sample, this 30-minute mini-album is instrumental and packed with simplistic rock riffs that emphasize the complexity of these six untitled original songs' shifting structures.’
- ‘Immediately he engages the crowd, standing at the edge of the stage, giving his shout-outs, moving his body to his own groove.’
- ‘The diminutive bassist was actually getting a healthy dose of shout-outs from the audience, which led Danko to protest at one point that ‘I am a jealous man!’’
- ‘The Detroit Free Press reports that mega-promoter Clear Channel has been offering last-minute fire sales to ensure that Rod Stewart and Sting's shout-outs to ‘all the people in the back’ don't go unanswered.’
- ‘Okay, we've got a lot of business to attend to this week (don't miss the shout-outs down at the bottom), so I'm going to keep this week's theme - like many summer romances - relatively brief.’
- ‘A particular shout-out goes to all the bloggers, too numerous to mention, who I have met in real life, many of whom I now consider as friends.’
- ‘The bass throughout is astonishingly deep and clear, and for the first time in my reviewing career I feel compelled to give a shout-out to the mastering engineer.’
- ‘I do have shout-outs to bands and musicians I like in my books, but the musical references can be misunderstood.’
- ‘You'll hear a lot of shout-outs to the ‘Neuf-trois’ - The Nine Three.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.