One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A narrow strip of material going over the shoulder from front to back of a garment.
- ‘I also would like something that has a shoulder strap.’
- ‘Her shoulder strap fell down and she hastily pulled it back up.’
- ‘Jack's right hand slid under the shoulder strap of her bikini top and slowly began to ease the material down.’
- ‘There were no sleeves, only a shoulder strap, and a low back.’
- ‘Once that arm is comfortably located and my sleeves are still around my wrist, I switch hands on the loop and insert the other arm upward into the other shoulder strap.’
- ‘For the height of fashion, choose the Botany crimson dress with a single shoulder strap featuring a fake floral corsage with red and purple petals.’
- 1.1 A long strap attached to a bag for carrying it over the shoulder.
- ‘The handbag is black, with a long shoulder strap and clasps at the front with poppers.’
- ‘The bag's structure is anatomically designed to mold your body, and the padded shoulder strap is intended to offer maximum comfort and practicality.’
- ‘The Classic is polyester and boasts an adjustable shoulder strap.’
- ‘You had to carry it by hand; there was no shoulder strap for it.’
- ‘The shoulder strap makes carrying the PC even easier.’
- ‘He was carrying a dirty, yellow rucksack with black shoulder straps.’
- ‘Also included is this protective soft case which has a Velcro closing flap and comes with a shoulder strap.’
- ‘One thing that makes it really unique is the adjustable shoulder strap.’
- ‘Select a backpack with well-padded shoulder straps and adjust the straps so the pack fits snugly against your child's back.’
- ‘The thing that impressed me most was that it features two little hoops at the top, which enable you to attach the bag to your body with little shoulder straps.’
- ‘Andy tightened her grip on the shoulder strap of her duffel bag and tried to keep from speeding up.’
- ‘A shoulder strap and reinforced handles make it easy to carry.’
- ‘As you can see, the bag has handle straps as well as a clip on shoulder strap.’
- ‘Zipping the bag back up and placing the large shoulder strap across her body she makes her way out of the room.’
- ‘I really want a bag that has both the handles and the extra shoulder strap like this one.’
- ‘Instead of a clutch-style purse, select one with a shoulder strap.’
- ‘Do buy the best backpack that you can afford, preferably one that has wide padded shoulder straps and at the very least, a waist belt.’
- ‘Each camera ships with a a matching bag, wrist strap, shoulder strap and charms also designed by none other than Gwen Stefani.’
- ‘At the very least you should get a backpack that has wide padded shoulder straps, a padded back and a waist belt.’
- ‘We'll see lots of small leather purses with a comfortable sling shoulder strap, elegantly embossed with two or three initials.’
- 1.2 A strip of cloth from shoulder to collar on a military uniform, bearing a symbol of rank.
- ‘Carry a small family pet to safety in a large cloth tote bag with shoulder straps.’
- ‘Those taking the oath wore an orange strip, known as the ‘Red Tab’, on their shoulder straps.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.