One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gymnastic movement in which, starting from a supine position, the torso and legs are raised vertically over the head and supported on the shoulders and arms.
- ‘Avoid the headstand or other inverted poses, such as the plow and shoulder stand.’
- ‘The lights abruptly come up on Firth in a shoulder stand on a chair, moving in a way that he appears to be falling upwards.’
- ‘Level One concentrated on basic moves including forward rolls, backward rolls and shoulder stands.’
- ‘Some children imitate the dancers' wide lunges and angular body shapes; the more adventurous do layouts, arabesques, crouches, and even a shoulder stand.’
- ‘They soar, spin, and dive to the floor, then spiral swiftly back to shoulder stands, splits and endless balances.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.