Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of the large, flat, triangular bones that lie against the ribs in the upper back and provide attachments for the bone and muscles of the upper arm.Also called scapula
- ‘There's an exit wound through your shoulder blade and through your lower back.’
- ‘As you row, pinch your shoulder blade toward the midline of your body and slightly rotate your torso.’
- ‘When you move your arm, how does that affect your shoulder blade?’
- ‘He let his fingers linger, rubbing at the edge of my shoulder blade.’
- ‘When your upper arm moves, your shoulder blade almost always has a corresponding movement.’
- ‘The team also discovered parts of a thigh bone, ribs, vertebrae, a collarbone, pelvis and shoulder blade.’
- ‘The human shoulder blade is a thin triangle of bone with a thick crest along one edge, and a shallow, concave joint surface in one corner.’
- ‘With her right shoulder blade broken in the Monday melee, she is joining the plaintiffs in the ACLU suit.’
- ‘Can you reach up past your shoulder blade that way?’
- ‘She picked him up by his shirt and slammed him against the window frame, then punched his shoulder blade.’
- ‘The main shoulder joint is formed by the arm bone and the shoulder blade.’
- ‘Slinging my bag over my shoulder blade I rushed outside only to collide with some moron wearing sun glasses.’
- ‘Draw your right shoulder blade upward and back to lift your arm slightly.’
- ‘Think of squeezing your shoulder blade toward your spine at the top, pulling your elbow as high as possible.’
- ‘His shoulder blade hit first and forced him to tumble across the track.’
- ‘One worker was knocked unconscious and sustained head injuries, a broken shoulder blade and a fractured spine.’
- ‘It attaches to the back of your upper arm and your shoulder blade.’
- ‘But because he broke his left shoulder blade in October, his health is a concern.’
- ‘The defense was hurt significantly when Butler was sidelined by a broken shoulder blade in 2001.’
- ‘I had no idea that people were reporting I had broken my shoulder blade.’
shoulder blade/ˈSHōldər ˌblād/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.