One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of karate that is popular in many countries.
- ‘Jean Claude, when you were training in Shotokan karate back in Brussels, what did your training consist of?’
- ‘However, the most influential styles were Shotokan, Shito-ryu, and Motobu-ryu.’
- ‘The kick is also recognized in Shotokan and some other Japanese styles including my own Seido Juku, but is very rarely taught.’
- ‘I had already studied Shotokan karate for ten years when I was first introduced to the alternative fist formation.’
- ‘She gained much of her early athleticism from several years in a highly competitive swimming program and was very active in the martial arts, having earned a second-degree black belt in Shotokan karate.’
Japanese, from shō ‘right, true’ + to ‘way’ + kan ‘mansion’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.