Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[with object] Shape (sheet metal) by bombarding it with a stream of metal shot.→ peen
- ‘Once wound, ISMI springs are heat-treated, shot-peened and stress-relieved which, Cosat says, ‘Enhances grain structure, and promotes maximum longevity and consistent performance.’’
- ‘To keep costs down, the EA50 is available in only four lengths and two rises, and the only (albeit attractive) color option is a shot-peened black finish.’
- ‘The test results indicate that the sea water impact on the shot-peened surface of aluminum alloy 5083 is not significant.’
- ‘It could be shown that this discrepancy can be ascribed to the high residual compressive stresses in the shot-peened steels.’
- ‘The surface durability of the gear shot-peened under medium condition in this experimental range was higher than that of non-peened gear, on the other hand those of lightly or strongly shot-peened gears were lower.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.