One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Butter or other fat used for making pastry or bread.
cut, trim, crop, haircutView synonyms
- ‘Supplies of white flour, granulated sugar, and cheap shortening such as margarine all helped to make cake baking popular.’
- ‘I gathered up all of the ingredients for two batches of dough: flour, vegetable shortening, active dry yeast, eggs, sugar, and a bit of salt.’
- ‘Cut the butter and shortening into small pieces, and drop onto flour.’
- ‘Researchers also added different amounts of ascorbic acid, salt, sugar, milk, water, and vegetable shortening, along with active dry yeast.’
- ‘Trans-unsaturated fatty acids, or trans fats, are artificially produced solid fats used in shortening and margarine, baked goods, and the oils used to cook French fries and other fast food.’
- ‘Place chocolate and shortening in the top half of a double boiler or in a metal bowl that has been placed on top of a saucepan filled with hot water.’
- ‘When dry, polish with a small amount of shortening on a paper towel.’
- ‘In a stock pot, melt the lard or shortening over medium heat.’
- ‘Fried seafood gets poor scores because most restaurants do their frying in hydrogenated vegetable shortening, not vegetable oil.’
- ‘Use Shari's organic pumpkin filling and a prepared whole-wheat crust, or make your own using non-hydrogenated shortening in your traditional recipe.’
- ‘Mix the suet and vegetable shortening with some of the flour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.