1A small cake made of biscuit dough and typically served with fruit and whipped cream as a dessert.
2North American A dessert made from shortcake topped with fruit, typically strawberries, and whipped cream.
- ‘The shining red fruit will appeal to your appetite, in such dishes as strawberry shortcake, strawberry tart, strawberry mousse and strawberry compote.’
- ‘I ordered the Tiramisu and the strawberry shortcake and the raspberry cheesecake.’
- ‘I made some lasagna and I think my husband promised to bring home some strawberry shortcake for dessert.’
- ‘Serve miniature strawberry shortcakes, with pink lemonade or strawberry milkshakes in teacups.’
- ‘Make strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream.’
- ‘When I brought him the pancakes he wanted a bagel and when I gave him the bagel, he was in the mood for strawberry shortcake.’
- ‘I know it's a bad habit, eating sweets in he morning, but strawberry shortcake is my favorite food.’
- ‘I got up and walked into the kitchen, bringing out a strawberry shortcake I made for desert.’
- ‘I could go for some strawberry shortcake right now.’
- ‘I understand that there are costs to deal with, but do you know the labor costs of making a strawberry shortcake?’
- ‘My strawberry shortcake caused gastronomical turmoil that lasted through the next day.’
- ‘His berry shortcake is cleverly layered with crème brûlée.’
- ‘Strawberry shortcake is a classic, of course, but strawberries are also a delicious topping for shortbread, lemon or sugar cookies and butter cake.’
- ‘Instead of a wedding cake, a strawberry shortcake was offered, topping off a menu that included baron of beef, salmon, shrimp cocktail, fettuccine and fruit.’
- ‘Salads and pastas make an appearance alongside the infamous wood-fired pizzas and even caramel shortcake and ice-cream.’
- ‘Helene Bushey and Denise collaborate on strawberry shortcake and chocolate brownies for dessert.’
- ‘Despite the excellence of well-made strawberry jam and such confections as strawberry shortcake, no one would deny that this fruit is most delicious when eaten fresh.’
- ‘They can be eaten plain, dipped in sugar, made into shortcake, dipped in chocolate, tossed in salads and served with yogurt.’
- ‘There is always a good selection of soups, including traditional favourites lentil and tomato, while desserts include goodies such as strawberry shortcake.’
- ‘Set the party up as a garden buffet with three stations: appetizer bruschettas, a main-dish salad bar, and shortcake for dessert.’
Late 16th century: see shortbread.