One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An abbreviation or nickname for.‘I'm Robbie—short for Roberta’
- ‘They also didn't want it to have a shorter nickname like Jenny, short for Jennifer.’
- ‘Fish is short for Vishnevski, a generic Eastern European name that is intended to provide a broad hint about his Jewish roots.’
- ‘R.O., short for Romantic Obsession, is pretty much a fact of life for innate singletons.’
- ‘I've decided on the name for my other fish; his name will be Storm, short for Johnny Storm.’
- ‘Bill, short for Wilhelmina, was secretary to Vita Sackville-West, and dressed in men's suits.’
- ‘Gerald is short for Geraldine, because even in this story it would be too cruel to name a girl Gerald.’
- ‘Sam, in fact, was short for Sambo, a nickname he accepted with the grace and good humour that characterised the man.’
- ‘I think I've chosen the name Thena for her, short for Athena, Greek Goddess of War.’
- ‘PfA, short for People For Animals, cares for and rehabilitates injured animals.’
- ‘The Queen's first family nickname was Lilibet, short for Elizabeth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.