One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) out of breath or quickly becoming so.
out of breath, panting, puffing, gasping, gasping for breath, huffing and puffing, puffing and blowing, puffed, puffed out, gulping, gulping for breath, wheezing, wheezy, choking, windedView synonyms
- ‘After all, dope or hemp was partially responsible for our low standing in academics, athletics, and achievements; we were the first generation of teens more short-winded than our own grandparents.’
- ‘The illness certainly affects a patients' quality of life because they often wake up short-winded, experience severe coughing or are hit by a heavy sensation in the chest.’
- ‘I would get so short winded, after just walking a few feet that I didn't want to go anywhere.’
- ‘Though short-winded, I was ready for the second pass.’
- ‘You get short-winded easily and you just aren't feeling your best.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.