One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Concentration on short-term projects or objectives for immediate profit at the expense of long-term security.
- ‘One consequence of these trends has been an increase in short-termism.’
- ‘There is, he suspects, a degree of short-termism about Glasgow.’
- ‘So far, the answers coming from governments have been a combination of short-termism and defeatism.’
- ‘Wall Street has always suffered from an overdose of short-termism.’
- ‘Now I think the only thing worse than short-termism is long-termism.’
- ‘This will involve overcoming the short-termism and anti-industrialism that, though expressed differently, are shared by both industry and wider society.’
- ‘Political scholars complain of the short-termism built into the British system, with ministers seeking five-year solutions to enduring problems.’
- ‘It is a rhetoric of participation and community to disguise a world of discontinuity and short-termism.’
- ‘We need them more than ever in a world dominated by business short-termism.’
- ‘And then there is the endemic short-termism in planning displayed in the Californian and Asian booms.’
- ‘The California recall is symptomatic of an increasing tendency for politics to be dominated by short-termism.’
- ‘I agree, short-termism is killing the industry.’
- ‘The short-termism that has characterised shipbuilding on the Clyde for decades has to end.’
- ‘It is a dangerous political issue where self-interest and short-termism risk undermining sound policy.’
- ‘When the goal is to make quick gains, then the means to achieve them may be nothing more than short-termism.’
- ‘These twin perceptions of total breakdown and dramatic advance are both products of short-termism.’
- ‘Yet this is all short-termism, capitalism's most persistent vice.’
- ‘The pressure to break out of the short-termism that had prevented the EC from making progress in the 1970s and early 1980s came from the objective situation that faced governments.’
- ‘There are powerful incentives to operate on a basis of myopic short-termism in the public-funded sector.’
- ‘What amazes me is the short-termism of the two companies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.