Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person elected by workers, for example in a factory, to represent them in dealings with management.→ steward
chairperson, chairman, chairwoman, president, convener, spokesperson, spokesman, spokeswoman, leader, mc, master of ceremonies, mistress of ceremoniesView synonyms
- ‘However, a shop steward needs the group leader's permission to move.’
- ‘Down the road at Vauxhall car plant a shop steward with a megaphone addressed a factory gate meeting.’
- ‘His father, Billy, was a shop steward who regularly took him on union marches.’
- ‘Jason Brown, a union shop steward, said the walk was not industrial action but rather a silent protest.’
- ‘I was considered to be a promising worker at Harris Scarfe and a good shop steward.’
shop steward/ˈSHäp ˌst(y)o͞oərd/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.