One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who shoots, especially one skilled in shooting, as a marksman.
armed robber, hold-up man, bandit, gangster, terrorist, gunfighterView synonyms
- ‘It began with an aluminum alloy frame, barrel shroud and yoke, which is a remarkable feat of engineering skill, but knowledgeable shootists have been expecting something like this for years.’
- ‘In many respects the modern shootist has many things in common with the brush popper of the past.’
- ‘Knowledgeable shootists realize the value of a large-frame revolver and have mourned the loss of this full figured six-gun ever since.’
- ‘One of their sponsors is a store catering to shootists, and the ad offers ‘machine gun rentals.’’
- ‘The unimpeachable morality and impeccable conduct of the shootist who never killed anyone still captures imaginations today.’
Mid 19th century: from shoot + -ist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.