Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
plural nounNorth American
Potatoes cut into long thin strips and deep-fried.
- ‘The Camden burger consists of a fresh kaiser roll, eight Angus ounces, sweet caramelized onions and a mini haystack of shoestring potatoes.’
- ‘I had the grilled steak baguette, with caramelised onions, horseradish mayonnaise and shoestring potatoes for €13.’
- ‘Garnish with the shoestring potatoes and baby arugula.’
- ‘I'm not saying fries should strive to be more like shoestring potatoes in a can, although I am willing to eat those, but a slender fry speaks to me.’
- ‘Four other appetizers have since been added to the menu, including fried scorpions served on shrimp toast and Changbai Mountain ants sprinkled on shoestring potatoes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.