Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A documentary film or program that deals with subjects such as death or violence in a graphic and often sensationalized way.
- ‘Is there a real shift here in political documentaries that are starting to become more like mockumentaries or shockumentaries.’
- ‘After the latest farce, there has been a national debate Stateside over the morality of reality-based so-called ‘shockumentaries’.’
- ‘The life and death of a 70s pop star is told as a bizarre shockumentary - with Barbie dolls standing in for actors.’
- ‘But there is a humanity here, and a sense of humor, both of which are lacking from 99% of the later shockumentaries.’
- ‘Other directors continued to mine the third world for shockumentary material, however.’
1970s: blend of shock and documentary.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.