Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Designed to resist damage when dropped or knocked.‘a shockproof watch’
- ‘It is extra-durable and shockproof, while weighing one-third less than most professional radios on the market.’
- ‘It's waterproof and shockproof, so that the person can actually wear it in the bath if they want to, they never have to take it off.’
- ‘They are required to be shockproof in the extreme and to function in extreme heat, cold and rain.’
- ‘So what you have is a small, metallic case with plastic reinforcements at the corners, a little bit like a shockproof watch.’
- ‘The shockproof nature of the phone means lots of rubber.’
- ‘The scope weighs 11 ounces, is shockproof, waterproof and fog proof.’
- ‘All are power-efficient, shockproof, and weatherproof.’
- ‘The biggest advantage of plastic is it is waterproof and electrical shockproof.’
- ‘The lightweight housings are rubber armored, waterproof, shockproof and very comfortable in the hands.’
- ‘Since then, improvements have made contemporary optics waterproof and shockproof, added gyroscopic image stabilization, and even enabled night vision.’
- ‘It is Swiss-made, shockproof and waterproof to a depth of 30 meters.’
- ‘Although the hard drives won't be as robust or shockproof as a tape cartridge, hard drives will continue to offer various advantages over tape.’
- ‘There are no moving parts, so the device is largely shockproof and does not wear out.’
2Not easily shocked.‘the teacher puts them at ease by her shockproof attitude toward ignorance’
- ‘That really shocked and angered me and I am pretty shockproof.’
- ‘Our culture has become quite shockproof, thanks to a media that brings us daily reports meant to be graphic and sensational in nature.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.