Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘If they're going to do this than they should make films about the Shoah and not the holocaust.’
- ‘Culpability for the Shoah - and for genocide more generally - is indeed two-fold, encompassing both individual and group murder.’
- ‘Six million Jews died in the Nazi Holocaust, which is known in Hebrew as the Shoah, and which led to the creation of the state of Israel in 1948 in British-mandated Palestine.’
- ‘Before WW2 and the Shoah, a good many people who weren't all monsters looked, if not kindly, at least with a respectful neutrality upon Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany.’
- ‘In the light (or, perhaps, the shadow) of the Shoah, it is incumbent upon the church now to decide how matters of history can become ingredient to theological reflection.’
- ‘The terrible history of anti-Semitism began, the soil in which eventually the Nazi attempt at genocide in the Shoah or Holocaust took root.’
- ‘First and foremost is his deep contempt for Jews, his deliberate insult to the memory of the six million Jewish dead at the hands of the Nazis and his denial of the Shoah as a unique crime.’
- ‘During the Shoah, bodies were turned to ash, which was itself dispersed.’
- ‘What if that spirit went toward making people aware of how much more there is to Judaism than Zionism, avoidance of intermarriage, and remembering the Shoah?’
- ‘And historians are still divided about the meaning of the Shoah in the context of the development of western civilisation’
- ‘With a few glaring exceptions, the newspapers and magazines of the early 1940s are silent about the Shoah or Holocaust.’
- ‘The event is as crucial to Chechen national consciousness as the Shoah is to Jews and the 1915 genocide to Armenians.’
- ‘Since the Shoah, the Holy Land has become a symbol of Jewish survival to Jewry across the globe.’
- ‘For Jews, Passion plays call up a host of painful memories and images, among them images of the Shoah, the Holocaust.’
- ‘Or does it voice all the tragedies of human existence, not only the Shoah?’
- ‘Bearing this context in mind, it is no coincidence that the war in the Middle East is used for a relativization of the Shoah.’
- ‘Critics of the film found its use of comedy disrespectful to the victims of the Shoah and ultimately an attempt to deny the genocide.’
- ‘The thing that bewilders me is that the holocaust isn't taught in schools, the Shoah is.’
- ‘One is the process of theological and historical self-examination among Christians since the Holocaust, the Shoah.’
- ‘In both the Rwandan genocide and the Shoah, a state-supported set of organizations committed a centrally coordinated series of actions that were intended to destroy an entire group of people.’
Modern Hebrew, literally catastrophe.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.