Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish of pieces of marinated meat and vegetables cooked and served on skewers.
- ‘The head can be sliced into bite-sized pieces for fondue or shish kebab.’
- ‘Then you could move onto some deliciously cooked and wonderfully arranged bhajis, shish kebabs or samosas.’
- ‘Pieces of lamb threaded on a skewer and grilled over hot charcoal is known around the world as shish kebab.’
- ‘In Kunduz, a jovial Afghan teacher helped me order charcoal-grilled sheep shish kebab from a street vendor, and we struck up a conversation.’
- ‘I selected the shish kebab to start and then a creamy lamb korma as a main course.’
- ‘The savory wild meat meal consisted of bannock, white fish, salmon, moose, shish kebabs, pasta salad, Caesar salad, and baked potatoes with fruit tarts for dessert.’
- ‘Typical snacks include fried plantain or shish kebab (meat on a skewer).’
- ‘You can do steaks, shish kebabs, small crabs and lobsters.’
- ‘These were followed by a shish kebab, which was spicy, and a chat masala eaten with a special spicy ‘salt’ sprinkled over it.’
- ‘Among the entrées, we appreciated the soft white meat on our chicken shish kebab but we wished it had had more zest.’
- ‘Soft, low fat spring lamb is ideal shish kebab or barbecue skewer material.’
- ‘Also popular is the famous Middle Eastern shish kebab, consisting of chunks of lamb or marinated chicken speared on a wooden stick and cooked over a charcoal fire with tomatoes and onions.’
- ‘There are also the more familiar kofta and shish kebab.’
- ‘Grilled calamari are skewered like shish kebabs, with densely flavorful cherry tomatoes.’
- ‘For $6.50, we also went for the shish kebab (filet de porc tendre).’
- ‘Other staples include rice, yogurt, figs, shish kebab, feta cheese (made from goat's or sheep's milk), and whole-grain bread.’
- ‘Other common Arab dishes include shish kebab and falafel, which are deep fried balls of chickpeas served with tahini (sesame sauce).’
- ‘Only one dish - vegetarian shish kebab - is without meat on the menu.’
- ‘They'd seen the show before, but then they'd had shish kebab and mesclun salad before, and that hadn't dampened their appetites.’
- ‘The most famous dish of Turkish origin is the shish kebab, pieces of lamb grilled on a skewer.’
From Turkish şiş kebap, from şiş ‘skewer’ + kebap ‘roast meat’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.