One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Gather (an area of fabric or part of a garment) by means of drawn or elasticized threads in parallel rows.‘I shirred the waist and the back panel’‘shirring is flattering to all figure types’
pleat, pucker, tuck, fold, corrugate, ruffle, crimp, crease, scrunch upView synonyms
- ‘Aside from pushing up and squeezing together, ruffles and shirring add some dimension to make you look bigger.’
- ‘By shirring the sleeves and quilting the cuffs the moiré blended well with the brocade pattern.’
- ‘In one case I got as far as the building's entryway, which was being used to store bags of shirred fabric in pink-and-purple plaid.’
- ‘The process of shirring, gathering and tucking took over, but these techniques did not solve its basic architectural problem.’
- ‘Strapless or V-neck tops, corsets and kimonos with shaped waists fit the bill, while ruched or shirred details can also help create shape and a lean line.’
- ‘We shirred the plaid between bands of the solid.’
- ‘An early shirred rug with a soft, faded palette of multicolored flowers that was once riotously bold hangs in the principal bedroom.’
- ‘The chiffon shirred strapless bodice curved naturally into her body, and the satin skirt spilled over the floor.’
- ‘Instead of getting too lost in my suddenly changed world, I remember she was wearing a green and blue plaid dress with some pastel shirring on the bib area, black Mary Janes and blue tights.’
- ‘She opened her show with business wear, starting with a beautifully fitted navy wool jacket with shirred collar and cuffs paired with a pencil skirt.’
- ‘Rosie's bath picks up the bedroom's palette in the pastel yellow wallpaper scattered with flowers and a soft shirred fabric that conceals the contents in the vanity's tall cabinets.’
2US Bake (an egg without its shell)‘the eggs were gently shirred with creme fraiche’
- ‘Silver lids were lifted to reveal English-style bacon, shirred eggs, salmon quiche studded with caviar, and a selection of summer fruits and berries served in an elegantly carved melon.’
- ‘Variations of the basic shirred egg may include the addition of herbs, cheese, and/or cream.’
- ‘This recipe for shirring eggs in ham cups provides an elegant way to serve ham and eggs to a large group.’
- ‘When I get around to shirring an egg, I'll try this.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.