One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a nonmetropolitan county (in existence since 1974).
- ‘Plans to revive traditional shire county names has received a favourable response in Westmorland.’
- ‘We have got used unfortunately over the years to see the Government dragging funds from the shire counties towards the metropolitan areas - it looks like this is happening again.’
- ‘He said: ‘North Yorkshire will continue to be one of the lowest taxing shire counties in England, with only two other county councils having lower tax levels.’’
- ‘This decision limited the extent of transfer of resources from the shire counties to metropolitan districts.’
- ‘That is why thousands of Tory Party functionaries and supporters in their traditional shire county heartlands have turned their attention to building the Countryside Alliance.’
- ‘On three other questions, Wiltshire was the second best shire county, and on two more it came third.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.