One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for teredo
- ‘The biggest threat is an attack by shipworms - they can eat the whole thing.’
- ‘Although shipworms look like worms, they, like any good clam, have shells.’
- ‘They report on concretions from the Palaeogene London Clay of southern England that contain marine driftwood that had been extensively bored by shipworms.’
- ‘For example, bacteria living in the intestinal glands of a wood-boring mollusk known as the shipworm provide the animal with as much as one-third of its nitrogen.’
- ‘His vessels, rotted by shipworm, were abandoned in Jamaica, where Columbus was marooned for a year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.