One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slope on which a ship is built and down which it slides to be launched.
- ‘Facilities at the main plant include a 750-foot drydock, three shipways, three wharves, an outfitting pier, four level-luffing cranes, and covered facilities for pre-outfit and assembly.’
- ‘Just prior to World War I, the company started constructing four additional open shipways and affiliated shops to the south of the original facilities.’
- ‘The completed ships could easily slip into the water along the inclined shipways.’
- ‘Around 8,000 people had travelled to the shipway on the Southside of Glasgow for the original planned launch of the ship on Friday April 8.’
- ‘The web of pathways, highways, shipways and skyways has been growing ever since.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.