One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slope on which a ship is built and down which it slides to be launched.
- ‘The completed ships could easily slip into the water along the inclined shipways.’
- ‘Facilities at the main plant include a 750-foot drydock, three shipways, three wharves, an outfitting pier, four level-luffing cranes, and covered facilities for pre-outfit and assembly.’
- ‘Just prior to World War I, the company started constructing four additional open shipways and affiliated shops to the south of the original facilities.’
- ‘The web of pathways, highways, shipways and skyways has been growing ever since.’
- ‘Around 8,000 people had travelled to the shipway on the Southside of Glasgow for the original planned launch of the ship on Friday April 8.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.