One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ship's captain.
- ‘The origin of the museum was the East India Marine Society, founded in 1799 by shipmasters and supercargoes who had collectively amassed 4300 objects made in the Orient.’
- ‘The mainland Northlanders all tended to be brutal - shipmasters, raiding the coasts of nearby kingdoms, pillaging and burning.’
- ‘He was a Harwich shipmaster and First World War hero executed by the Germans.’
- ‘Later in his life, Palmer also won wealth and fame as a pioneer clipper shipmaster and designer.’
- ‘The shipmasters knew the way only by memory, and would never tell where the people really came from.’
- ‘They were carried before the Governor, with the shipmaster and the supercargo.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.