One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person employed to manufacture or assemble the structural parts of a ship.
- ‘A boilermaker and ship fitter by trade, he has had progressively responsible roles up to and including Vice President of Repair for Intermarine.’
- ‘The ship fitters will be working on watertight door gaskets to try and get this place a little warmer in the winter.’
- ‘I admitted to John that I didn't know what a ship fitter was, and asked that he explain it to me.’
- ‘He raced down a couple of decks to the ship fitter's storage room and grabbed his materials.’
- ‘After lunch the word spread to the welders and ship fitters on the ship.’
- ‘The present owner's husband, a ship builder, bought the house that year and carried out an extensive and unusual refurbishment using his apprentice ship fitters.’
- ‘I was the lead ship fitter on the job and handled most of the lead panels in one way or the other.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.