One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in Kashmir) a houseboat.
- ‘Did you live in a shikara - I think that would be a great experience!’
- ‘The shikara goes up in flames, and paradise burns.’
- ‘Most shikara owners feel that if a Pahalgam like incident occurs again, it would be a disaster for tourism.’
- ‘For adventurous travellers who actually make it to Kashmir, a stay in a shikara (houseboat) on Dal Lake is a must.’
- ‘It starts off rather well with some good shots of shikaras blowing up.’
- 1.1 A light, flat-bottomed boat.
Via Kashmiri from Persian šikārī ‘of hunting’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.