A dog of a breed with long, silky, erect hair and short legs.
- ‘The dogs included shih-tzus, dachshunds, Lhasa apsos, bearded collies, corgis, chihuahuas, poodles, Pekinese and Yorkshire terriers.’
- ‘Instead, a shih-tzu pokes his bow-topped head in.’
- ‘Various breeds of pedigree dogs, including miniatures shih-tzus and Lhasa apsos, dachshunds, bearded collies and a corgi were recovered.’
- ‘She is embarrassed by everything and accordingly cursed in her ownership of Theo, a tricky little shih-tzu.’
- ‘Why, only the other day she decided she would buy two shih-tzu puppies.’
1920s: from Chinese shīzi lion.