One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad domed volcano with gently sloping sides, characteristic of the eruption of fluid, basaltic lava.
- ‘Mayor Island is a shield volcano with a caldera in the western part of the Bay of Plenty, off the east coast of New Zealand.’
- ‘Using the radiometric ages of the central islands, we have identified a progression of the volcanic quiescence, from Gran Canaria to the central shield volcano of Tenerife and La Gomera.’
- ‘Debris flow deposits, formerly called ‘polygenic breccias’, are found intercalated between the submarine shield volcano and the horizontal lava flows.’
- ‘When gas from the magma chamber has been exhausted, the lava erupts more quietly to form a broader and lower edifice, a shield volcano.’
- ‘The eastward dip of the northern part of the shield volcano suggests that the island formerly extended to the north.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.