One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of ferns that have circular shieldlike scales protecting the spore cases.
- ‘Christmas fern and soft shield fern (P. setiferum) remain green; the fiddleheads of many ferns emerge early from the winter ground.’
- ‘In the male shield fern these are located along the midrib, while in the marginal-fruited shield fern they are placed on the margins of the divisions of the fronds.’
- ‘Historically there are a number of highly divided soft shield ferns known collectively as the plumose divisilobes which are now considered to be more characteristically plumose multilobes.’
- ‘If the garden is on the drier side but still shady then the soft shield fern is for you.’
- ‘Fragrant shield fern or fragrant cliff fern (D. fragrans) is so named because its leathery, evergreen leaves have a spicy aroma when dry.’
- ‘Slugs will occasionally eat the young fronds of variegated shield, deer, hayscented or southern shield ferns.’
- ‘The distinctive shaggy, moss texture and neat habit of growth sets this variety of soft shield fern apart.’
- ‘The shield ferns have this characteristic ‘thumb’ on the leaflets of the fronds and the spores cover both the leaflets and the thumb - you can just about make this out in one or two of the leaflets.’
- ‘There are more than 100 varieties of shield ferns in the commercial trade, ranging in height from two feet to four feet.’
- ‘Marginal shield fern is an evergreen fern, which grows as a non-spreading, vase-shaped clump with handsome gray-green, leathery fronds.’
- ‘Cinnamon, royal, and southern shield ferns will grow in full sun if constant moisture is available.’
- ‘This forest has a diverse herb layer of spring wildflowers that bloom from April to June as well as shield ferns and mosses.’
- ‘I've had some southern shield fern for a few years now.’
- ‘This is in contrast to its look-alike, P. setiferum, the soft shield fern.’
- ‘On your way into one of the canyons keep an eye open for the lady ferns and shield ferns in the shaded understory of the forest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.