One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Chinese thought) the spiritual element of a person's psyche.
- ‘In this formula, ginseng calms shen.’
- ‘Since storage is a yin function, it is primarily the Heart blood and yin that have the function of nourishing the Heart and providing the material basis for the Heart to house the shen.’
- ‘The shen are indestructible and immutable; they transcend Yin and Yang.’
- ‘Other side-effects include abnormal dreams involving either the shen / heart spirit or the hun/ethereal soul.’
- ‘The heart houses the shen, or spirits, and the shen's presence radiates and shines from a person's eyes and face.’
- ‘The shen may also be disturbed by the heat buildup in the chest.’
- ‘In classical Chinese medicine, shen is the reservoir of vital essence in semen, and kui means deficiency.’
- ‘This is from an unknown source, but emphasizes the importance of treating the shen.’
From Chinese shén.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.