Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A program that provides an interface between the user and the operating system.
- ‘As the feedback from the example above indicates, it uses the system Bourne shell program to interpret the user-provided program statements.’
- ‘There were instances where I tried to exit the pinball engine only to find that the shell program still assumes my game is in progress.’
- ‘Had his tests not been outstanding he would have been rejected from the shell program before he even began.’
- ‘Most RM Window Box sales - a shell program designed for schools - come from schools buying the RM hardware and software combined.’
- ‘I had to put together a couple of simple shell programs attached to icons for the nontechnically inclined teachers, but nothing difficult, and the students haven't found the games (yet).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.