One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The length of time for which an item remains usable, fit for consumption, or saleable.
- ‘Just ensure that it has been stored hygienically, and note that flavoured milk has a shelf life of 45 days.’
- ‘The shelf life of most bands nowadays is a year at best.’
- ‘I think it's a case of reinvention due to the shelf life of the term.’
- ‘They are innovative in both packaging concepts and flavours and have an extended shelf life of 21 days.’
- ‘The ingredients have a shelf life of 3 months in most cases, so use fresh ingredients.’
- ‘Gasoline has an average shelf life of about six months, so refresh your supply regularly.’
- ‘Your finished products have a shelf life of around one month to six weeks.’
- ‘By placing them in the freezer, you will add another year to their shelf life.’
- ‘They are currently particularly looking for platelet donations as these only have a shelf life of five days.’
- ‘The only drawback is that polyurethane glues have a shelf life of only about one year.’
- ‘Liquid anthrax has a shelf life of three years, after which it turns into sludge.’
- ‘Fresh blood products have a short shelf life so we always require a steady number of donors.’
- ‘Mass production and consumption means a shorter shelf life, for music as well for consumer goods.’
- ‘The most refreshing and healthy drink of coconut water is available in sachets with a shelf life of a year.’
- ‘Most have a shelf life of about two years, which includes the time the product sat in the store.’
- ‘In such a state, a nation's paper money has a shelf life like a fresh egg or a jar of mayonnaise.’
- ‘Drugs and alcohol had seeped into their lifestyle and they were already past their shelf life.’
- ‘These days books have about as long a shelf life as yoghurt, here one minute and consigned to the library stack the next.’
- ‘Seeds have a limited shelf life; they're only viable for a certain number of years.’
- ‘If you expect the consumer to buy a car, a long shelf life and a lot of reading and re-reading will help.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.