One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The length of time for which an item remains usable, fit for consumption, or saleable.
- ‘Mass production and consumption means a shorter shelf life, for music as well for consumer goods.’
- ‘Fresh blood products have a short shelf life so we always require a steady number of donors.’
- ‘In such a state, a nation's paper money has a shelf life like a fresh egg or a jar of mayonnaise.’
- ‘The most refreshing and healthy drink of coconut water is available in sachets with a shelf life of a year.’
- ‘Most have a shelf life of about two years, which includes the time the product sat in the store.’
- ‘Just ensure that it has been stored hygienically, and note that flavoured milk has a shelf life of 45 days.’
- ‘Drugs and alcohol had seeped into their lifestyle and they were already past their shelf life.’
- ‘The ingredients have a shelf life of 3 months in most cases, so use fresh ingredients.’
- ‘These days books have about as long a shelf life as yoghurt, here one minute and consigned to the library stack the next.’
- ‘If you expect the consumer to buy a car, a long shelf life and a lot of reading and re-reading will help.’
- ‘They are innovative in both packaging concepts and flavours and have an extended shelf life of 21 days.’
- ‘I think it's a case of reinvention due to the shelf life of the term.’
- ‘They are currently particularly looking for platelet donations as these only have a shelf life of five days.’
- ‘Liquid anthrax has a shelf life of three years, after which it turns into sludge.’
- ‘The shelf life of most bands nowadays is a year at best.’
- ‘The only drawback is that polyurethane glues have a shelf life of only about one year.’
- ‘Seeds have a limited shelf life; they're only viable for a certain number of years.’
- ‘Your finished products have a shelf life of around one month to six weeks.’
- ‘By placing them in the freezer, you will add another year to their shelf life.’
- ‘Gasoline has an average shelf life of about six months, so refresh your supply regularly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.