Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Lightning with its brightness diffused by reflection within clouds.
- ‘I counted 53 strokes over a period of 2 minutes at its height, mainly chain and sheet lightning, though we got a ground strike on a tree about 50 metres away.’
- ‘Standing there in my pyjamas I watch sheet lightning strike the Atlantic.’
- ‘Thunder rolled across the waves as occasional flashes of sheet lightning burst across the sky illuminating the dark-grey thunderheads in a spectacular display of nature's fury and beauty.’
- ‘Thankfully the wind remained fairly constant as we were blinded by the sheet lightning.’
- ‘We went outside to see the sky lit up by great flashes of sheet lightning, but no thunder.’
- ‘Heat lightning is like sheet lightning, but is so far away that you cannot hear the thunder.’
- ‘A blaze of bloody green steel answered, and the blades met in a terrible explosion of fury, bleaching the ravine with a glare of hate that blasted up like sheet lightning.’
- ‘In the distance, thunder rumbled, and sheet lightning dimly lit the sky.’
- ‘Like sheet lightning, these flashes are created by lightning bolts, but are in thunderstorms more than 10 miles away.’
- ‘The mixture of warm air and moisture creates thunderstorms at altitude - maybe 3,000 metres - bringing thunder and sheet lightning and heavy downpours from France, often at night.’
- ‘By the 1970s, however, writing the umpteenth article on sheet lightning imagery in The Scarlet Letter or Macbeth did not seem like a great way to make a splash or launch a career, and so a new methodology had to be generated.’
- ‘Often, the sheet lightning in the distance and occasional real storms can add to the drama on stage.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.