Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A knot used for temporarily fastening one rope through the loop of another.
- ‘If the ropes you are joining together are slick, such as nylon line, you may want to add an extra loop into your sheet bend for greater security.’
- ‘Use a sheet bend if you're going to put heavy stress on the knot, if one end is hard to bend or tie, or if you don't want the knot to come undone any time soon.’
- ‘The essentials of the boater's repertoire are here - the bowline, the sheet bend, the clove hitch, etc. - but so are such lesser-known gems as the hawser bend, the cow hitch, and many more.’
- ‘The double sheet bend is a more secure version of the sheet bend and is a common knot to be used when tying two lines together, particularly if the lines are of different diameter.’
- ‘While the braver souls dodged traffic to retrieve gear, I scrounged pieces of rope from the trunk, joined them with sheet bends, and tied a bowline loop in one end.’
- ‘A double sheet bend may be employed when a sheet bend may not have enough friction to hold well.’
- ‘The groups hiked down to Blackfoot to tie clove hitches, half hitches, square knots, fisherman knots, and sheet bends, then walked a course with the Patrol tied together.’
- ‘Reading between the lines, I detect a loophole or two in the health and safety rules; there is no ban on using weapons against dinosaurs, nor on using reef knots and sheet bends to tie up one's prisoners.’
- ‘It should not be used like a regular sheet bend to join two different lengths of cord.’
- ‘Run the free end as shown in figure 1 and tighten to make the locking sheet bend shown in figure 2.’
- ‘If you find that the sheet bend slips then you need to get more ‘bight’ out of the towel.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.