One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
She had; she would.
- ‘She had a row of cups that she'd earned as a result of league and team matches.’
- ‘Every morning she'd take him from one side of the bay to the other and every night she'd take him back.’
- ‘When her son was a small boy she'd take him to the park at the end of their street to play.’
- ‘She said she'd been reading the diary and wasn't happy that I was gambling and that it was bad.’
- ‘So all you had to do was play this one piece on the accordion and she'd start to sing.’
- ‘She would ask the child about what she'd seen that morning at home or on her way to school.’
- ‘Maybe if she'd rung a bell I could have stepped out of her way and come away with just a close call instead.’
- ‘She took back some of the change she'd given him and gave him his cigarettes and he left, without a word.’
- ‘For months she'd been trying to expand her empire, and I'd managed to pull it off in a week.’
- ‘She's pretty certain her father is dead but she'd like to find out more about him.’
- ‘I wish she'd just get out of my room, respect my need to be alone for a while and just stop bothering me.’
- ‘Still, the woman behind me seemed to think it was the funniest film she'd ever seen.’
- ‘She would scan the books, one by one, placing them to her right after she'd stamped them.’
- ‘She says she'd prefer to live on the streets of Scotland with her mother and brother and sister.’
- ‘She stopped smiling and looked at him with a twisted mouth, like she'd just sucked on a lemon.’
- ‘The midwife asked us if we had any names for the baby, as she'd need to know in order to fill out the paperwork.’
- ‘She said she'd have to fill out another form, and produced a giant sheet of paper.’
- ‘I spotted it but by the time she'd realised what happened, the boy was nowhere to be seen.’
- ‘I turned around and she'd obviously been trying to work out how to attract my attention.’
- ‘She played the martyr and said she'd be quiet from now on, just like she'd promised before.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.