The quality or state of being sharp.‘the sweet flavor contrasts with the sharpness of the lemon’‘his health and mental sharpness declined’
intensity, severity, acuteness, keenness, violence, fierceness, ferocitychilliness, chill, briskness, coldness, keenness, iciness, bitterness, harshnessharshness, asperity, bitterness, acerbity, acidity, tartness, edgeclarity, definition, precision, crispnessacuity, acuteness, keenness, sharp-wittedness, quick-wittedness, perceptiveness, discernment, percipience, penetration, discrimination, cleverness, shrewdness, astuteness, intelligence, intuitiveness, agility, nimblenessView synonyms
- ‘It was marvellously complemented by the foie gras and marmalade, to which the grapefruit added a wonderful sharpness.’
- ‘In fact, the intellectual sharpness of the record is more like that of a dull butter knife.’
- ‘The music lends the story precision and sharpness without any murmuring.’
- ‘He had none of his famous sharpness and sparkle at the table.’
- ‘It slows so that you're able to discern the edges with startling sharpness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.