One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brimless Russian hat of fur or sheepskin.
- ‘Fur shapkas, the classic winter headgear, cost from $15 for lowly rabbit to over $200 for fox.’
- ‘But amid the crowd of padded coats and fur shapkas we couldn't tell who was a taxi owner, who was an agent or driver, and who was just a bystander.’
- ‘People roamed the city, adorned in wool overcoats and shapkas ranging in color from brown to black.’
- ‘The oddest thing about the shapkas is that I have never seen one with the ear flaps down.’
- ‘We gasped for breath as we hung our fur shapkas on the hat-stand.’
Russian, literally ‘hat’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.