One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly in fiction) a person or being with the ability to change their physical form at will.
- ‘Most cultures had legends of vampires or shape-shifters who preyed on the living.’
- ‘We are shape-shifters or children of the moon.’
- ‘The virtues of tomorrow, unlike the virtues of yore, will be inspiring shape-shifters whose purpose, in addition to saving us, will be to baffle the certainties and absolutisms of ideologues everywhere.’
- ‘The dreamer or dream-ego is an inveterate shape-shifter.’
- ‘The club was visited by the occasional shape-shifter, werewolf, or good vampire.’
- ‘The segregation rules were waved and vampires, humans, half-breeds, shape-shifters and all other supernatural denominations were allowed to live up there together.’
- ‘Chinese myths are stuffed with shape-shifters, dragons and half-human creatures.’
- ‘Vampires are shape-shifters like were-wolves.’
- ‘Your father was a magician, though I can't be sure how powerful unless I see your spells working, and your mother is a shape-shifter.’
- ‘A puca is an Irish shape-shifter or else it is a ghost.’
- ‘Sam seems to have been an exquisite survivor, a charming shape-shifter, a talented and highly successful magician, acrobat and showman.’
- ‘Proteins are notorious shape-shifters, curling and uncurling like serpents as they go about their work in and around living cells.’
- ‘Folklore gets its due in intriguing descriptions of the Navajo Indians’ ‘coyote people,’ and even Dracula makes a guest appearance as one of the most popular shape-shifters ever.’
- ‘But I thought that only demons and shape-shifters could do that.’
- ‘The full moon still changed them though, and it wasn't long before the humans had chased even the human-looking shape-shifters out of their towns.’
- ‘Well, you see… I'm a shape-shifter, and I looked like someone else when you saw me.’
- ‘Since Jupiter desires the wife, Mercury advises the senior shape-shifter to assume the husband's form after having a nation declare war on Thebes to draw the commander away from home.’
- ‘I am Millennia, the shape-shifter and the seer.’
- ‘What is more, Spider-Man's enemies and locations will reflect the local customs and mythologies, beginning with Rakshasa, a mythical shape-shifter who will replace the Green Goblin.’
- ‘We have stories of Japanese vampires, of shape-shifters who live on spirit more than blood, of the lost and the arrogant and the brutal and the alien.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.