One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dress fabric spun from tussore silk with random irregularities in the surface texture.
- ‘She in her buttoned-up cheongsams and high heels, he in his sober-toned shantung suits and narrow ties - they repress themselves in the high style of their day and wear their restrictions as badges of honor.’
- ‘When I visited my favorite hat shop, I looked at a shantung and a cheap Panama hat but decided that my head would look and feel better when crowned by a true Montecristi.’
- ‘A somulent shantung shawl of sherbet snow scuttled staidly across the spacious stage onto which the shady stratosphere of heaven harked an assiduous ear.’
- ‘The bodice was in shantung satin and the skirt was in tulle & crinoline with lining.’
- ‘Steeped in culture, hazy summer-weight cottons and shantung silk in luxurious shades of spice, henna and amber are embroidered and lavishly decorated.’
- ‘She looked incredible, as usual, with her brown ponytail, an off-white silk shantung pants suit, and a gorgeous Fabrice resin flower pin with seed-pearl-tipped stamens.’
- ‘Tussah silk is similar to shantung, with silk from the wild.’
- ‘Sheree looked great in the black and gold silk shantung pantsuit she wore today.’
- ‘It is like a nubby silk shantung, this culture thing.’
- ‘I love rich colors and so decided to make my duvet cover out of a very saturated blue shantung silk.’
- ‘Tussah silk, often called shantung, is made from the cocoons of wild tussah silkworms that eat oak and juniper leaves.’
- ‘Although usually marketed as a ‘Panama hat,’ the shantung is a lower-priced imitation woven in China from twisted rice paper.’
- ‘Another unique characteristic is the emergence of shiny materials, such as satin, silk, shantung and duchesse.’
- ‘Fabrics include canvas in different weights, linens, cotton and silk poplins, piquets, silk canvas, shantung, cotton jersey and all the classic ‘suit’ fabrics.’
- ‘At home in Chelsea his black shantung pyjamas would be laid out, the evening papers and the Book Collector spread on his night table, and the digestive biscuits and Karlsbad plums, a bottle of San Pellegrino, a jigger of Strathisla.’
- ‘For Miu Miu she went back to the 1950s, with large geometric prints based on curtain and furnishing fabrics, heavy slubbed silk and shantung.’
- ‘I was in a wedding and the bridesmaid's dress was a rose pink silk shantung.’
- ‘Our silk combination curtains were the solution: Their sheer tops let in diffused light, while solid shantung bottoms offer screening.’
- ‘They makes gorgeous silk shantung and taffeta dresses that are amazingly flattering and come in every color.’
- ‘I recently bought a black silk shantung corset top, and I have no idea what to wear with it on bottom?’
Late 19th century: from Shantung, where it was originally made.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.