One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The power delivered to a propeller or turbine shaft.
- ‘I slowed the aircraft to increase shaft horsepower before the fuel-chop - mindful to keep our rpm above 95 percent to prevent flameout.’
- ‘She is propelled by steam turbines with 76,000 shaft horsepower.’
- ‘The craft would be powered by a turbine capable of generating 1024 shaft horsepower dispersed through four gear-shaft driven propellers.’
- ‘Mounted well proud of the hull, they were gigantic enough to deliver more than 82,000 shaft horsepower to the water and push this 43,000 ton behemoth along at 25 knots.’
- ‘The C - 130J is equipped with four Allison AE2100D3 turboprop engines, each rated at 4,591 shaft horsepower.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.