One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mechanism in which power is transmitted from an engine by means of a driveshaft, especially to the wheels of a vehicle or a boat's propeller.
- ‘Consider a bike with shaft drive, a 6-speed gearbox, Bosch fuel injection and moderate, ride-all-day ergonomics.’
- ‘The shaft drive is hidden in the aluminium alloy swing arm.’
- ‘In 1885 the Rover bicycle incorporated a chain or shaft drive to transmit the pedal power to the rear wheel.’
- ‘With the simple air-cooled engine and shaft drive this is a bike which should give years of service with minimal expense.’
- ‘Turning the pedals turned an eccentric cam just above the bottom bracket, which then turned a shaft drive that lead down to the rear wheel, where another cam converted this to rotational motion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.