One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mechanism in which power is transmitted from an engine by means of a driveshaft, especially to the wheels of a vehicle or a boat's propeller.‘diesel shaft drives’as modifier ‘all shaft-drive bikes tend to jack up and down as the rider adjusts the throttle’
- ‘Turning the pedals turned an eccentric cam just above the bottom bracket, which then turned a shaft drive that lead down to the rear wheel, where another cam converted this to rotational motion.’
- ‘In 1885 the Rover bicycle incorporated a chain or shaft drive to transmit the pedal power to the rear wheel.’
- ‘Consider a bike with shaft drive, a 6-speed gearbox, Bosch fuel injection and moderate, ride-all-day ergonomics.’
- ‘With the simple air-cooled engine and shaft drive this is a bike which should give years of service with minimal expense.’
- ‘The shaft drive is hidden in the aluminium alloy swing arm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.