Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Nonstandard spelling of “says,” used in representing uneducated speech.‘“Oh Lordy!” sez de man’
- ‘Whether that sez more about me the listener or them the band or them the bands they begot, I do not know, nor care to ask.’
- ‘Not only is the federal government moving too fast to debate the issue, but parliamentary debate on the matter, sez Ralphie, is ‘the most un-Canadian thing that any government can possibly do.’’
- ‘It's a kind of ‘oh yeah, sez you’ that owes more to soccer yobs than fox hunting.’
- ‘Just remember: when the ranger sez to ‘pack out what you pack in,’ that includes vomit.’
- ‘Of course, as Gene Wolfe sez, ‘Any interesting work of art comes close to saying the opposite of what it really says.’’
- ‘The scientician sez the bountiful sightings of rippled water & hump-like humps & cetera are all due to seismic activity deep below the loch's surface.’
- ‘Save us, cries the audience - I'll save you, sez the popstar.’
- ‘His final turn of the screw is the memory of a grizzled old miner who clutches his wrist as he and his pals are leaving the tunnel and boarding the bus to go home, and sez: ‘Sonny, we'll be here after you've gone.’’
- ‘He works for the Phoenix Meat Company and his card sez Client Services.’
- ‘So he sez to me, he sez, I don't like the cut of your jib!’
- ‘The deal, as the back cover sez: ‘We traveled around the world collaborating with the most happening musicians, authors, scientists and thinkers we could find to explore the unity in diversity.’’
- ‘My man sez since I am almost as old as he is I must have been borned about the same tyme he wus and that wus back in a year kalled nyneteen and twenty-ate.’
- ‘Then again, Lester Bangs sez Iggy Pop was punk rock period.’
- ‘As jaunty Dante sez in his Inferno: ‘Too bad, so sad.’’
- ‘Prices are rock-bottom, and our accountant sez we're certifiably insane.’
- ‘Tom Hanks walks into your office and sez, ‘My wife really loves this play and wants to make it into a picture.’’
- ‘Problem is, every man sez dat the service up thar is much bettah…’
- ‘I don't give a rip what exec sez which about whatever hype is flying around at the moment.’
- ‘Like mom sez, how do y'know you don't like uninhabitable frozen wastelands if you've never tried 'em?’
- ‘When they arrived Saint Peter sez, ‘Ok you guys, you have to go to the orientation department.’’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.