Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The production of new living organisms by combining genetic information from two individuals of different types (sexes). In most higher organisms, one sex (male) produces a small motile gamete that travels to fuse with a larger stationary gamete produced by the other (female)
the facts of life, sexual reproduction, reproductionView synonyms
- ‘But then they argue that genetic engineering and sexual reproduction are essentially the same.’
- ‘The two forms of reproduction, sexual reproduction and asexual reproduction or budding, make for great efficiency and flexibility and are characteristic of the life histories of many other reef organisms.’
- ‘Going back to the 19th century, scientists have proposed that sexual reproduction makes natural selection more effective because it increases genetic variation.’
- ‘He ranged over many areas of animal and plant physiology, with special interests in the transport of nutrients and in sexual reproduction.’
- ‘This is due to the fact that all organisms that rely on sexual reproduction have only two known options to redistribute the output of hunting-gathering activity: eusociality or market exchange.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.