Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The stereotypical categorization of people, or their appearance or behavior, according to conventional perceptions of what is typical of each sex.
- ‘Biller also found that father absence adversely affected the sex role identification and sex typing of male children.’
- ‘Labour market theories that stress segmentation assume a fairly rigid sex typing of occupations and hence a disassociation between employment and pay trends in the separate male and female labour markets.’
- ‘These differences become reified through sex typing of jobs and the enactment of work and family structures.’
- ‘The sex typing of jobs and the accompanying systems of occupational segregation can be seen to constitute one element in the interlocking ‘Gender Order’ which can have the perverse effect of excluding groups of men from paid employment.’
The process of determining the sex of a person or other organism, especially in difficult cases where special tests are necessary.
- ‘Are these methods of sex typing any more or less enlightened than ours in the late twentieth century, where we depend on penile function in males and reproductive function in females?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.