Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person regarded by another only in terms of their sexual attractiveness or availability.‘we're now in a period when it is permissible for women to make men into sex objects’
- ‘And of course the other part was just feeling like a sex object and questioning that kind of sexual oppression.’
- ‘But the famous movie star longed to be known as a much fuller person rather than being trimmed down to a sex object.’
- ‘A caricature that stereotypes the female nurse as a sex object only encourages inappropriate behaviour toward nurses by the public and gives no credibility to your publication or to the excellent article it is supposed to illustrate.’
- ‘Cold shouldered, Matthew tries in vain to win back the girl who loved him for not seeing her as a sex object.’
- ‘‘I could put my charms to use with gay people, but I didn't want to be the sex object on the team,’ he recalls, smiling.’
- ‘Brook, meanwhile, desperately tries to take things seriously and keep the peace but is all too often reduced to a sex object that's there purely to ignite the men's passions.’
- ‘Instead of a sex object, she becomes more of a talisman.’
- ‘‘The film is about how Danny becomes more and more of a sex object,’ explains Langlois.’
- ‘The reason he wants to see strippers is because it's a way for him to look at a woman as just a sex object.’
- ‘I get the impression I'm more or less a sex object.’
- ‘Berry is a sex object, when she deserves better.’
- ‘Maybe she is a shallow sexy sex object with no depth.’
- ‘A woman needs to be courted every single day, she needs to be convinced that her partner loves and cares for her and is attracted to her and that she means more to him than being just a convenient sex object.’
- ‘You ask a lot of him in this role - drag, love scenes with men - and he's presented as a sex object and a tease for other men.’
- ‘I'm not a sex object, but for the right woman… I could be.’
- ‘I would rather wear a burqa than have my eight-year-old child become a sex object,’ she wrote.’
- ‘At first, I liked the one-nighter deal thing and my friends couldn't believe that I was letting all the guys treat me like a sex object.’
- ‘At 68, Reid is as unlikely a sex object as they come, but she conveys the poignance of May's sexual re-emergence with plausibility and without losing an iota of her grandmotherly reserve.’
- ‘In a way, you need to ‘objectify’ your partner, to view her as a sex object.’
- ‘It offers a quick peek at what happens when the man becomes the sex object.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.