One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hormone, such as estrogen or testosterone, affecting sexual development or reproduction.
- ‘Its main function is to produce sperm and testosterone, a male sex hormone, during puberty.’
- ‘Specifically, Chapter Five reviews the early history of sex hormone research.’
- ‘Although estrogen is best known as a female sex hormone, it exists in small quantities in men, too.’
- ‘These drugs are synthetic substances related to the male sex hormones, called androgens.’
- ‘Overactive sex hormones called androgens cause glands in your skin to produce too much oil.’
- ‘Testosterone is a sex hormone, but it's also an anabolic steroid.’
- ‘Melatonin is well absorbed following oral administration and may alter serum sex hormone concentrations.’
- ‘That's because one of the ways it achieves its healthful effects is by mimicking the female sex hormone.’
- ‘It is acclaimed as an aphrodisiac, not just because of its shape, but because it is rich in the vitamins important in the production of sex hormones.’
- ‘And, not surprisingly, they are at their peak in levels of the sex hormone testosterone.’
- ‘It happens earlier in women than in men, because high levels of sex hormones maintain mineral content of bones.’
- ‘Still, researchers say that the herbicide could be subtly affecting sex hormones in humans.’
- ‘Male pattern baldness or Androgenic alopecia, is caused by the presence in the body of a group of male sex hormones collectively referred to as androgens.’
- ‘Some evidence suggests that excessive exercise and overtraining may exert a similar effect in men, lowering levels of male sex hormones and possibly impairing fertility.’
- ‘This natural difference in body composition is largely a matter of sex hormones and gender functions.’
- ‘It starts with testosterone, the male sex hormone.’
- ‘Extremely toxic to bees, fish and other aquatic animals, these chemicals also have been associated with life-threatening allergic reactions in humans, and anemia and disruption of sex hormones in lab animals.’
- ‘Tests that he or she will need to do include blood or saliva tests that measure total estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA-S and sex hormone binding globulin.’
- ‘He had also begun experimenting with various sex hormones, to great effect.’
- ‘They can even have higher levels of sex hormones.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.