One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Tending to be associated with one sex or the other.
- ‘The sound anthropological position is that certain sex-linked behaviors are biologically based, although subject to cultural modifications within limits.’
- ‘I'm pretty convinced that baldness is genetic but isn't sex-linked.’
- ‘We resist recognizing that our most serious social problems are sex-linked.’
- ‘This result confirms sex-linked character of the importance of a mate's look in the long-term mating.’
- 1.1 (of a gene or heritable characteristic) carried by a sex chromosome.
- ‘However, males who inherit an X chromosome with a gene for a sex-linked disease have no second X to fall back on and, therefore, have the disease.’
- ‘The disorder is inherited as a sex-linked trait, with the HGPRT gene on the X chromosome.’
- ‘Hemophilia A, a sex-linked recessive trait carried by females and manifested in males, is a blood-clotting disorder brought about by a deficiency in certain substances responsible for normal blood coagulation.’
- ‘Some genetic diseases are associated with X and Y chromosomes and are described as sex-linked, while genetic diseases due to gene defects on the non-sex chromosomes are called autosomal; i.e. these can affect males and females alike.’
- ‘CVD is known as a sex-linked recessive disorder.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.