Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The provision of drainage by sewers.
- ‘It will also be used for the provision of small public water and sewerage schemes in smaller towns and villages.’
- ‘The capacity of the sewerage system is limited and comes close to overload during peak periods.’
- ‘Despite that, they were still optimistic that the sewerage treatment system would be in place by 2005.’
- ‘The new school will attract families to the area, while the sewerage system will allow for further development.’
- ‘The state of the sewerage system in Kirkwall, which includes a leaking pipe, has meant all new building projects in the town have been put on hold.’
- ‘With a new sewerage system on the way for Kiltimagh, a number of large housing developments are at the planning stage.’
- ‘The provision of a sewerage scheme for Stradbally was placed sixth in order of priority.’
- ‘Workers plan to strike and shut down the sewerage system if the allowance is not paid over the next several weeks.’
- ‘Moreover, the civic authorities give low priority to sewerage and treatment of sewage.’
- ‘But, there has been a problem with the sewerage system over a period of time.’
- ‘In Karachi a huge section of the population goes without clean water or a sewerage system.’
- ‘A Sligo Fianna Fail councillor said he was confident that Enniscrone will have a new sewerage system next year.’
- ‘He is also well qualified to comment on the technical and practical aspects of the provision of sewerage to Bent Hill.’
- ‘The matter was raised when councillors discussed draft policies on the provision of sewerage schemes in villages.’
- ‘But people in the area also need an adequate sewerage system and they are waiting for the County Council to act.’
- ‘We have a large sewerage system which is dependent on a lot of water moving through it.’
- ‘A new underground pipe 130 metres long will connect the existing sewerage works with the holding tank.’
- ‘Residents are adamant that neither the sewerage system nor road infrastructure can cope with such an increase.’
- ‘Spokesman Patrick Killgallon said the high river level meant that water was being pushed back through the sewerage system.’
- ‘Fifty-eight per cent of homes have electricity and water supply and are linked to the sewerage system.’
- 1.1North American another term for sewage
- ‘The sewerage system had also collapsed, resulting in sewerage flowing into the streets.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.