One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a Protestant sect that preaches the imminent return of Christ to Earth (originally expecting the Second Coming in 1844) and observes Saturday as the sabbath.See also Adventist
- ‘Members of newer American denominations, including Seventh-Day Adventists and some Pentecostals, also refused induction and support of the war effort in this same conflict.’
- ‘In the former case, the Court reversed the denial of unemployment benefits to a Seventh-Day Adventist who refused an offer of employment which would have required him to work on Saturdays.’
- ‘After I told one of the church members I was a Seventh-Day Adventist, I noticed he was a little quiet.’
- ‘7% of Bermuda's residents are Seventh-Day Adventists.’
- ‘There are a small number of Uniates, Seventh-Day Adventists, Baptists, Pentecostalists, Armenian Apostolics, and Molokans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.